For Active Babies
Active babies are driven to explore using all of their senses and their favorite toys will inspire them to investigate.
- Rattles with several types of materials (for younger babies)
- Toys that roll, bounce, or slide
- Toys that babies can crawl or climb over or through (for older babies)
- Baby musical instruments (pots and pans work well!)
For Social Babies
Your company is going to be your babies greatest gift so any gift that promotes time together will be well-loved.
- Simple age appropriate games
- Finger puppets
- Recorded music so that you and your baby can dance!
Shy babies often enjoy toys that allow them to play on their own such as objects they can manipulate and explore without help from others. Of course, they'll want their parents to stay nearby.
- Play mats and mobiles (for younger babies)
- Simple puzzles
- Lift the flap or other interactive books
- Blocks or other stackable toys
It seems that every toy sold today has flashing lights, noise, and vibration. For babies who are sensitive to the world around them, these toys might be overwhelming. Instead of these toys, we suggest the following:
- Soft manipulative toys without loud sounds or lights
- Baby dolls
- Stuffed animals
Next Time: Too Much Fun: How to Avoid Overstimulating Babies and Toddlers
Our active son is now 11 mos and is having *a lot of fun* with a TOLO shape sorter. He can sort many of the shapes himself. The shapes are mini shakers and the sorter rolls and opens, too. It is many toys in one.ReplyDelete